To commemorate the 50th anniversary of one the defining films of the last century, Universal Studios Home Entertainment is bringing Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
to Blu-ray for the first time ever this October 19th. The film has been remastered and upgraded to a full DTS HD 5.1 digital sound mix, although purists will also be able to listen to the film's original mono audio track.
As you'd expect from a snazzy anniversary edition, this release also comes packing an array of special features focusing on everything from the making of the movie, to its historical impact, to the details of how the film was restored for this release. It's pretty much everything you could want out of a definitive high-def Psycho
release. Well, at least until the 75th anniversary rolls around and they're just implanting the damn thing directly into our brains.
Psycho (50th Anniversary Edition) Special Features
- Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
- The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film.
- In the Master’s Shadow -- Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
- Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
- Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of “Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho”)
- Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
- The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
- The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
- Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
- The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
- Posters And Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
- Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
- Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.