Steven Spielberg continued his fixation on World War II this year with the 10-part miniseries, The Pacific
. If your household doesn't spring for an HBO subscription, you'll be able to catch it on Blu-ray and DVD November 2nd.
Following in the tradition of Band of Brothers
, the Spielberg- and Tom Hanks-produced miniseries explores World War II through the eyes of a few characters, in this case three U.S. Marines: Robert Leckie (James Badge Dale, The Departed
), Eugene Sledge (Joe Mazzello, The Sensation of Sight
), and John Basilone (Jon Seda, Close to Home
). Over the course of the series, the trio view many of the defining events of the Pacific campaign, from the Battle of Guadalcanal all the way through V-J Day.
In keeping with the importance of the events being fictionalized, The Pacific
on Blu-ray and DVD will include plenty of historical content in its bonus features, alongside the usual making-of goodies. Here's what the press release has to say:
The Pacific on DVD is overflowing with exclusive and informative content that will further enrich the audience’s understanding of the war. The viewer will learn more about the events of the Pacific theater and the real Marines depicted in the miniseries, and will have access to a more in-depth look at the making of this epic event. Features include:
Presented in HD 1080p video and DTS-HD master audio, The Pacific on Blu-ray elevates the viewing experience to the ultimate level. It contains all the bonus materials found on the DVD version, along with two interactive companion features that maximize the use of Blu-ray technology and provide a superior viewing experience to the miniseries or DVD alone. These engaging and extensive features will captivate audiences and allow fans to delve deeper into the historical details behind the war and provide enhanced insight into the lives and experiences of the Marines through exclusive, first-hand accounts. Features include:
- “Historical Backgrounds” -- The five-minute prologues that set the stage for each episode and additional historical footage narrated by Tom Hanks.
- “Making The Pacific” -- Go behind the scenes and take an inside look at the making of this epic, 10-part miniseries.
- “Profiles of The Pacific” -- Delve into the lives of the real Marines featured in The Pacific. Get a personal perspective on their families, their war experience, and their lives after the war in these intimate portraits.
- “Anatomy of The Pacific War” -- Explore the historical influences and cultural perceptions that led to the merciless brutality in the Pacific theater of World War II.
- “The Pacific Enhanced Viewing” -- The ultimate viewing companion to The Pacific. Learn more about the Marines and gain a deeper historical understanding of the battles while watching the miniseries with Enhanced Viewing, a 10-part, 10-hour, picture-in-picture experience. Exclusive content includes interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps, and more.
- “The Pacific Field Guide” -- Allows viewers to navigate through the major events featured in The Pacific in this standalone, interactive Field Guide. Search within four categories to view exclusive content including animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs, and more.