Each day brings us choices on how to entertain ourselves. You know, just getting through the days that are weighing heavily on our souls. Or some such crap. Maybe you like to listen to the Weekly Blend Audio Show as you type up a memo for your boss to distribute. Perhaps it’s a game of nerf war between your department and accounting. But not today. Today you should be playing BioShock.
The critical gem of a game from Ken Levine and the guys at 2K Boston and 2K Australia is out today for the Xbox 360 in all its glory. No longer will you have to listen to hyped up news stories, or rambling thoughts on the genius of BioShock. Head on over to your favorite game purveyor and pick up a copy, if you’re so inclined. Just be sure to allocate enough time to play, because once you head down in the Bathosphere you’ll be stuck until the very end.
For the two of you – I can’t seriously imagine there’s any more than that out there – who have no clue what BioShock is, we’ve got a brief fact sheet below. The game is out in stores today in North America; Europe will enter Rapture on August 24th.
• Biologically modify your body with plasmids which are genetic augmentations that empower you with dozens of fantastic abilities including: send Electrobolts storming from your fingertips, unleash a swarm of hornets hatched from the veins of your arms, or strategically turn enemies against one another with irritants.
• Take control of your world by hacking devices and systems: reprogram enemy security bots into personal bodyguards, modify vending machines to change prices, and transform machine gun security turrets into powerless pieces of metal.
• Upgrade your weapons at Power-to-the-People stations located through Rapture: craft variants of ammo and plasmids by picking up materials in the city to modify them at U-Invent kiosks.
• Turn everything into a weapon: the environment, your body, fire and water, and even your worst enemies. BioShock's free form combat options allow gameplay scenarios to be approached with a variety of weapons, active and passive plasmids, environmental objects utilization, exploitation of political alliances, or a combination of techniques. Find your style but know when to adapt.
• Explore an incredible and unique art deco world hidden deep under the ocean, vividly illustrated with realistic water effects and truly next generation graphics.
• Make meaningful and mature decisions that culminate in the ultimate question: Do you exploit the innocent survivors of Rapture to save yourself...or risk it all to become their savior?