Blizzard revealed today that they're introducing a new customization option for Heroes of the Storm
. Artifacts will be added to the game's technical alpha in an upcoming patch.
"Once a player reaches Player Level 15, they will unlock an Artifact Slot. Within these slots you will be able to place a variety of powerful Artifacts in the form of Gems, Relics, and Trinkets that you can use to further enhance and customize your heroes," Blizzard said
. "This new system will offer players a variety of new and compelling choices to add further depth to their heroes and how you play them, and it will also give you new things to spend your hard-earned Gold on that will further progress your Heroes in a meaningful way."
The Gem slot is granted to the player automatically at 15. The Relic and Trinket slots have to be purchased for 2,000 gold apiece. The Artifacts that fit into these slots will also be purchased with Gold. One Artifact can be used in each category for a match. Here are a few examples revealed by Blizzard today.
- Bold Amethyst - Increases maximum health by 1.5% per rank, up to a maximum of 15% at Rank 10.
- Brilliant Topaz - Increases ability damage by 1% per rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10.
- Nexus Sapphire - Grants a shield equal to 1% of the Hero’s maximum health per rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10. (Shields recharge after a player hasn’t taken damage for approximately 8 seconds).
- Primal Ruby - Increases basic attack damage by 1% per rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10.
- Royal Diamond - Reduces cooldowns for abilities by 1% per Rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10.
- Skyfire Emerald - Increases speed of basic attacks by 1% per rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10.
- Alexstraza's Scale - Increases health regeneration by 0.1% of your maximum health per second per rank, up to a maximum of 1% of your maximum health per second at Rank 10.
- Nathrezim Blood Orb - Basic attack damage dealt restores health by 1% per rank, up to a maximum of 10% at Rank 10.
- The Coin - Increases mana regeneration by +.1 mana per second per rank, up to a maximum of +1 mana per second at Rank 10.
- Worldstone Shard - Increases damage vs. minions and structures by 1.5% per rank, up to a maximum of 15% at Rank 10.
- Goblin Jumper Cables - Decreases death timer by 2% per rank, up to a maximum of 20% at Rank 10.
- Khaydarin Amulet - Increases maximum mana by 4% per rank, up to a maximum of 40% at Rank 10.
- Riding Crop - Increases Mount Speed by 2% per rank, up to a maximum of +20% at Rank 10.
- Wirt's Leg - Increases base movement speed by 0.5% per rank up to a maximum of 5% at Rank 10.
The Artifacts' strength can be increased by spending gold. There are ten levels of upgrades, each costing more than the last. The first level cost 100 Gold while the tenth costs 1,000.
Heroes of Storm
's alpha test launched in March
. It's limited to a small group of players but Blizzard has been expanding that pool over time. Starting with the next patch, Blizzard plans to give gold to players level 5 or higher to help them test out a range of Artifacts.
Eventually the alpha will give way to a larger beta. Evidence suggests that Blizzard will sell access to this test with Founder's Packs