For the past three weeks, PlayStation Plus and Killzone 3
owners have been testing out SOCOM 4
's multiplayer. Today Zipper Interactive is opening the beta up to all PSN users.
The beta features two maps, "Port Authority" and "Assault & Battery." They can be played in the following game modes:
- Suppression: SOCOM 4’s version of “team deathmatch.”
- Last Defense: Capture controls points, discover the enemy base and destroy it.
- Uplink: Steal enemy data and deliver it to your base.
- Bomb Squad: Defend your bomb technician while he disarms enemy explosives.
- Sniper Alley (Custom): An 8 vs. 8 version of Classic Suppression with higher damage. Weapons are limited to sniper rifles, shotguns, smoke grenades and poison gas.
- Last Defense Run ‘n Gun (Custom): Faster movement speed and reduced damage are applied to 16 vs. 16 Last Defense with weapons restricted to only shotguns and SMGs.
- Scrum (Custom): Suppression is given rule tweaks of no respawn, faster movement and higher damage, while sniper rifles, frag grenades, concussion grenades and poison gas are disallowed.
The non-Custom game modes can be played in either Classic or Standard setting. Standard is similar to SOCOM 4
's single-player while Classic has faster movement speed, rounds, no respawns, and no health regeneration.
For the start of the beta, Zipper will limit testing to certain modes. Toward the end, they'll let you play whatever mode you want:
- Tuesday (4/5) – Last Defense, Classic Last Defense, Uplink, Classic Uplink
- Wednesday (4/6) – Bomb Squad, Classic Bomb Squad, Last Defense, Classic Last Defense
- Thursday (4/7) – Sniper Alley (Custom), Last Defense Run ‘n Gun (Custom), Bomb Squad, Classic Bomb Squad
- Friday (4/8) – All Gametypes Open
- Saturday (4/9) – All Gametypes Open
- Sunday (4/10) – All Gametypes Open
- Monday (4/11) – All Gametypes Open
- Tuesday (4/12) – All Gametypes Open
- Wednesday (4/13) – All Gametypes Open
The beta will conclude on April 13 at 11:59pm PST.