Rise Of The Triad Brings The Holy Crap Back To FPS Gaming
Author: William Usher
published: 2012-08-02 15:32:09
Due out for Steam on PC, Apogee Software (yes the same Apogee that brought us Wacky Wheels) and Interceptor Entertainment have announced at this year's QuakeCon that Rise of the Triad will rise again later this year. The remake aims to stay true to the original complete with over-the-top gore, bombastic weapons and lots of crazy moments that will have you yelling all sorts of obscenities.
Interceptor CEO Frederik Schreiber commented about the new game, saying...
"Apogee has given us a great opportunity with Rise of the Triad,"... "We are all about fast-paced action and this was simply a perfect match for us as fans of old school shooters."
For those of you who aren't old-school gamers, Rise of the Triad was one of the big FPS titles from way back in the day, rivaling id Software's Doom. Also, during the shareware wars, the big dogs in the playing field were Epic Games, Apogee Software, Sierra and id Software. It's cool getting to see their logo again and you can see even more than that with the new trailer from Machinima below.
Now the video doesn't show off much of anything new, and most of the positive changes seem to be courtesy of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 (and isn't it funny how the rivals are now working together?), but my inner nostalgia is kind of seeping out in hopes that this game will find a large enough audience to be a success.
I'm sure many other gamers are probably worried this might be another Duke Nukem Forever, but hopefully it's not. The weapons look pretty rad and the action seems tight. The game's signature gore also returns, which is funny because I didn't know you could perform Mortal Kombat quality fatalities using a dinkle pistol.
You can check out the official fact sheet for the game below or pay a visit to the Rise of the Triad Website to learn more about the game.
Rise of the Triad Features:
* Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
* Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
* Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
* The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
* The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone's favorite, Dog mode!
* Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve's Steamworks.
* Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
* Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
* Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
* ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
* The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
* Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
* Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
Back to top