X-Men: Days Of Future Past Beats Captain America 2 To Become The Highest Grossing Movie Of 2014
So far this summer has seen some been full of major releases, from Godzilla to Maleficent, Captain America: The Winter Solider to Transformers: Age of Extinction. All of the above are doing well at the box office, but X-Men: Days Of Future Past has blazed past these titles to become the highest grossing movie of 2014. So far anyway…
Box Office Mojo reports X-Men: Days Of Future Past is at the top of the list of worldwide grosses for 2014. With $712.7 million to its credit, the star-studded superhero ensemble has inched past Captain America: The Winter Solider, which currently boasts $711.2 million. And The Amazing Spider-Man 2 pulls up third place, proving the superhero trend is still going on strong.
The full top ten offers some surprises, take a look below:
1. X-Men: Days Of Future Past ($712.7 million)
2. Captain America: The Winter Solider ($711.2 million)
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($703.7 million)
4. Maleficent ($585.6 million)
5. Godzilla ($488.1 million)
6. Rio 2 ($470.2 million)
7. The LEGO Movie ($467.2 million)
8. Noah ($359.2 million)
9. 300: Rise of an Empire ($331.1 million)
10. Edge of Tomorrow ($318.7 million)
It was big news when the Tom Cruise thriller Edge of Tomorrow failed to top the box office its opening weekend, coming in third to The Fault In Our Stars and Maleficent despite rave reviews from critics. (This one included). Domestically, the sci-fi adventure with the $178 million budget has only made $84 mil, but thanks to a robust overseas total of $234.5, Edge of Tomorrow is winning the day. But Edge of Tomorrow isn't the only title scoring way better thanks to international audiences.
The list for highest domestic grosses offers some major shake-ups. For one, X-Men: Days Of Future Past takes only the #3 spot. Noah and Rio 2 get bumped right off the list to #16 and #11 respectively, leaving room for comedies to take over.
Check out the full list below:
1. Captain America: The Winter Solider ($257.2 million)
2. The LEGO Movie ($256.8 million)
3. X-Men: Days Of Future Past ($223.3 million)
4. Maleficent ($201.8 million)
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($200.1 million)
6. Godzilla ($197.0 million)
7. Divergent ($150.3 million)
8. Neighbors ($147.1 million)
9. 22 Jump Street ($139.8 million)
10. Ride Along ($134.2 million)
Of course we're only nearing the half-way mark of 2014, so while X-Men: Days Of Future Past and Captain America: The Winter Solider may duke it out over the next few weeks, it's totally feasible that some fall or winter release will come and steal the title of 2014's highest grossing film. It happened just last year, when Disney's Frozen overtook Iron Man 3 to snag the crown, earning $1.263 billion worldwide to the superhero sequel's $1.215 billion.
The end of the year is bringing a robust array of contenders like Disney's animated superhero adventure Big Hero 6, and much anticipated sequels like The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. We'll have to wait and see if summer's superheroes can withstand the box office might of these contenders.
Back to top