The Writer's Guild of America will be giving out another Best Videogame Writing Award this year. Tonight they revealed the five nominees for the prize, which will be doled out at the 2010 Writers Guild Awards on February 20th.
- Assassin's Creed II, Story by Corey May, Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, Jeffrey Yohalem; Ubisoft Entertainment
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Written by Jesse Stern, Additional Writing Steve Fukuda, Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, Jason West, Battlechatter Dialogue, Sean Slayback; Activision
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
- Wet, Written by Duppy Demetrius; Bethesda Softworks
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Script Writer Marc Guggenheim; Activision
They did a better job with last year's slate of nominees
, to be honest. There's some pretty notable omissions on this list, like Brutal Legend
or Dragon Age: Origins
. Also, I'm not sure how you can give an award to X-Men Origins: Wolverine
- I mean it was pretty much just a straight adaptation of the film of the same name.
I suspect the reasons for any snubs are procedural. The game has to be sent in by the developer/publisher or by the writer's representatives so it's possible that no one entered Brutal
for consideration. Also, you need to be a member of WGA's Videogame Writers Caucus or in the application process for said caucus for your game to be submitted for approval.