It's a proven scientific fact that the addition of Betty White can make anything better. She's the bacon of octogenarian funny-ladies. But are there limits to her superpowers? Can she run up against a piece of dreck so abysmal, so monumentally, overpoweringly awful that even her winning combination of old-lady charm and strategic profanity cannot defeat it? Is there, in fact, an immovable object out there to counter her unstoppable force? Presenting Exhibit A in our little experiment: You Again
, which will be arriving on Blu-ray and DVD -- predictably -- just before Valentine's Day on February 8th, 2011.
tells the story of Marni, a smoking hot girl who used to be a much-bullied nerd in high school. She's recovered okay, having forged a successful career and grown up into Kristen Bell. All is well with her world until she learns that her brother (James Wolk) is about to marry the mean girl who used to make her life miserable (Odette Yustman). Will there be hijinks, misunderstandings, and an eventual reconciliation accompanied by pop music? Signs point to yes.
has an 18% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes
. Our own Mack Rawden gave it an uncharacteristically generous rating of two stars
. I would never suggest that you watch You Again
hoping to be entertained by it. But if ever there were a perfect baseline with which to test the Betty White Bacon Theory, You Again
is it. I never said it was going to be easy, but this is for science, people! If nothing else, just mute it whenever Betty White isn't on screen and spend the rest of the time ogling Kristen Bell and/or Odette Yustman where gender/orientation appropriate.
DVD Bonus Features
Blu-Ray Bonus Features
- FOLLOWING FICKMAN: ON SET WITH THE DIRECTOR: Peer into the madcap mind of Hollywood's wackiest director, Andy Fickman, as he orchestrates the comedy of Kristen Bell, Sigourney Weaver, Jamie Lee Curtis and Betty White.
- ASK THE CAST: Jaime Lee Curtis, Betty White, Sigourney Weaver, and Kristen Bell answer questions from fans asking for advice. Betty’s advice might not be what you expect.
- FUNNY OR DIE: In this behind-the-scenes interview spoof, Jaime Lee Curtis, Betty White, Sigourney Weaver, Odette Yustman, and Kristen Bell discuss the movie when things get tense between the actresses eventually boiling over into a cast fight.
- DELETED SCENES: Director Andy Fickman provides intros to his deleted scenes “Sharing a Room,” “Photo Album Memories,” and “Riding the Silk.”
Everything on the DVD, plus...
- BLOOPER DANCE PARTY: On-set antics abound as the cast dances to their own beat.
- ADDITIONAL DELETED SCENES: Director Andy Fickman provides intros to his deleted scenes. “Good Morning Sunshine,” “Grandma Bunny's House (featuring Betty White),” “Meet Georgia King (with Betty White),” “Gail’s Shower/Ramona’s Dress,” “The Compost Heap (with Betty White),” “Covered in Lard (with Betty White),” “Bridal Shower (with Betty White),” “After the Fiasco.”