Epic Games announced on Friday that they'll release the third title update for Gears of War 2
in a little over a week. Shortly afterward, the game will receive a new map pack.
Title Update 3 will be released on Tuesday, March 24th. Here's the list of changes included in the update, according to the official Gears
- New experience-based ranking system: The new system gives you 100 levels of player experience, gained through scoring in Public matches. The game still uses TrueSkill to set up the most competitive matches possible, but skill ranks are now hidden. Players who quit matches early see their experience docked as a penalty.
- Public Match autobalancing: Bots now automatically join a Public Match to fill any slots left vacant by players who quit early or disconnect.
- Improvements: You get region preference for matchmaking, improved standby detection, playlist optimization, plus nine new achievements—six of which require the Snowblind Map Pack—worth a total of 250 points.
- Exploit fixes: Title Update 3 eliminates the ability to mantle greater distances by swapping weapons during cover slide and to melee attack through walls while holding an enemy weapon, plus adding many more fixes.
- General fixes: These include more reliable chainsaw interruption detection, improved headshot detection for certain character model heads, improved flag AI in Submission games, plus other fixes.
- Balancing: Title Update 3 makes changes to Subway weapon spawns for greater balance, reductions to smoke-grenade stun duration, an increase to the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels, and several other balance revisions.
The Snowblind Map Pack, set for a March 31st release, will have four winter-themed maps available for use with both normal multiplayer and Horde modes. Three of the maps (Grind Yard, Under Hill, and Courtyard) are new and the fourth is a winterized version of Gears 1
map Fuel Depot. Pricing information wasn't provided.