Subscribe To Foxcatcher Slammed Yet Again, This Time By A Rival Studio Updates
I've already subscribed
And the Foxcatcher fiasco continues. After a series of angry tweets were unleashed by Mark Schultz, whose story serves as the basis for Channing Tatum’s performance in the film, the pro wrestler released a Facebook post further detailing his frustration towards the manipulation of his life’s story. Now in a different turn, Warner Bros. had to publicly apologize to Sony, the studio behind Foxcatcher, after one of its employees slammed the film over Twitter.
It all started this past Friday when an account by the name of WB Digital tweeted the following:
#Foxcatcher Movie Slammed As ‘Complete Fiction’ By The Olympic Wrestler Who Inspired It. ‘Everything I’ve ever said positive about the movie I take back, I hate it.
The argument can be made that this tweet doesn’t fully see the WB slamming Sony, but studios don’t normally circulate this kind of damning information on their competitors. (Unless, of course, your name is Bryan Singer and Joss Whedon is trying to steal your Quicksilver thunder.) Warner Bros. retorted soon after by saying that this was a dummy account unaffiliated with the studio. However, further investigation proved that the source was an outside consultant doing promotional work for them.
After suspending the account, the studio released the following apology (via Variety):
The retweet was posted as a general entertainment story, but posting anything that can be seen as a negative comment about one of our competitors is totally unacceptable and contrary to our operating policies. As Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, said earlier today: ‘Warner Bros. simply does not do business that way.’ The suspended Twitter account will not be reactivated and the consultant is no longer in our employ. We apologize to our friends at Sony.
Director Bennett Miller, Tatum, Steve Carell and Mark Ruffalo are all hoping to earn some awards recognition this season, but it sure hasn’t been an easy ride so far. Though Miller originally told reporters during the New York Film Festival that his team received practically zero pushback from anyone in making the film, it was recently revealed that Mark Schultz had a big problem. As we reported earlier, he took issue with the portrayal of the characters’ relationships and personalities. He specifically cited the scene in which, after a time jump, we see Tatum’s Mark sporting blonde highlights, snorting more cocaine and seemingly hinting that some sort of sexual abuse was taking place between his character and Carell’s John du Pont. Believing this to be an insult, the real-life Mark published a series of "I HATE BENNETT MILLER" tweets before apologizing for his hostility.
Mark Schultz also promised to reveal the whole story behind this controversy to Katie Couric after the awards race is over and done, as he said he’s under contract to promote the film until then. Though, it’ll be interesting to see how the Academy voters will take this debacle into consideration.