The reports of Silent Hills' demise from this weekend turned out to be accurate. Today Konami confirmed that they're cancelling the Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro collaboration.
"Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued," the publisher said in a statement sent out this morning.
Reedus, best known for his role as Daryl in The Walking Dead, was going to provide the voice and likeness for Silent Hills' lead character. He mourned the end of the project over Twitter:
At around the same time, Konami updated the website for Silent Hills' demo P.T. with a surprising announcement: they're taking the teaser off the PlayStation Store on Wednesday. They simply explained that the "distribution period" for P.T. had expired. It was clear, though, that Silent Hills was in trouble. Publishers aren't in the habit of removing free demos for upcoming games before the game is actually released.
As I said yesterday, Silent Hills' cancellation is likely due to Hideo Kojima's upcoming departure from Konami. The Metal Gear creator will be leaving the company following Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's launch in September. Rather than find a new director for Silent Hills, Konami apparently felt that killing the project altogether would be a better move.
We don't know much about what we're missing out on through this cancellation. Konami said that the "control, setting and other elements" of P.T. were different than Silent Hills. The only things we knew for certain, then, were that Silent Hills used Metal Gear Solid 5's Fox Engine, starred Norman Reedus and would've been a horror game.
The lack of concrete information released about the game is a sort of blessing in disguise. It would've been harder for series fans to move on if they knew exactly what they had been deprived of. Perhaps we'll find out more about the project from former team members in the future, though.