I'm not sure what's up with this year's obsession with the number nine. District 9
is hitting DVD next week. We've got Rob Marshall's Nine
opening in limited release this Friday. And the post-apocalyptic animated adventure 9
arrives on Blu-ray and DVD December 29th. Seriously, is this some sort of numerology thing? I don't remember this many eight-related movies showing up last year.
I missed 9
during its theatrical run, so I'm looking forward to giving it a look-see on Blu-ray. Tim Burton and Wanted
's Timur Bekmambetov produced the visionary story of several living rag dolls, including Elijah Wood's title character, 9, as they adventure across an apocalyptic wasteland after humanity has been wiped out. 9 must lead his companions against malicious machines and try to discover the secrets of his own creation. 9
was co-written and directed by Shane Acker based on his Oscar-nominated short film. Aside from Wood, the flick sports an impressive voice cast including Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, John C. Reilly, Crispin Glover, and Jennifer Connelly.
You can pick up 9
on either Blu-ray or DVD on December 29th, and here are the specs:
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY
BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY AND DVD):
- U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through an Internet-connected player to download exclusive content, the latest trailers and more!
- ON TOUR WITH SHANE ACKER: Take a tour of the production with director Shane Acker as he explains the production process step-by-step and introduces the team responsible for creating 9.
- MY SCENES SHARING: Bookmark favorite scenes from 9, then share with BD-Live buddies!
- DELETED SCENES
- 9 -- THE ORIGINAL SHORT: Experience the spectacular short film with optional commentary by writer/director/animator Shane Acker and animation director Joe Ksander.
- THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT: From creating an 11-minute short, to running a full-scale feature-length production, see how writer/director/animator Shane Acker went from the short 9 to the long 9, including a behind-the-scenes look at script development, pre-production in LA, production in Luxembourg, budgets, scheduling, and more!
- THE LOOK OF 9: An in-depth look at the design, color, and texture of 9.
- ACTING OUT: Learn how shooting live-action reference helped animation director Joe Ksander animate 9's non-human characters. Take a closer look at this process and hear from some of the animators about their performances.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY: Delve deeper into the world of 9 with writer/director/animator Shane Acker, animation director Joe Ksander, head of story Ryan O’Loughlin, and editor Nick Kenway.