Mortal Kombat X
's PC version received a big patch today to fix several bugs. However, it also added an even bigger problem.
After downloading the patch, several players reported that it had wiped their progress for the game. This problem led High Voltage Software, the developer of MKX for PC and last-gen consoles
, to pull the update from Steam.
"We are temporarily removing the patch until we can pinpoint the cause of save data loss," the company said in a Steam announcement
. "We are actively working on this and will keep everyone posted as we work towards a fix. We sincerely apologize for this disruption."
One player on the Steam forums for MKX
says he reached out to High Voltage and was told
that the patch would be coming out today or Wednesday "at the very latest."
There was no mention, though, of whether or not the developers will be able to restore any progress lost by the patch. If not, that's horrible. We're talking about players potentially losing dozens of hours' worth of work (well, "work") here. That's the kind of crap that would make me drop a game and never look back. I lost about two hours of campaign progress in Battlefield 4
and never went back to single-player so I can't imagine losing 20+ hours of effort.
Today's patch added Jason Voorhees as a playable character
for Kombat Pack
owners. It also cleaned up a number of issues present with the PC
version since launch. Here are the full list of changes:
- Added the free Klassic Sub-Zero costume.
- Display drivers should no longer crash during online play.
- A crash will no longer occur after a full rotation of players in the lobby during Round Robin matches.
- Fixed a crash that some users experienced during the first QTE in the story.
- Game no longer crashes when players attempt to join a game through Steam or in a room.
- Fixed startup crash on high end systems (those with > 8 cores).
- Fixed a crash that would occur during recorded match playback.
- Save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss.
- Fix to prevent save game data from being corrupted while closing the game.
- Walk away animations now appear at the end of the character selection process.
- The levers in Shao Khan's Tomb will now activate.
- Shinnok's Flick Trick Fatality no longer experiences a significant framerate drop.
- Functionality is no longer lost while watching a match replay.
- Pre-game lobbies will populate 10 players into Faction Battle matches.
- Kombat Kards will now display correct Icons, Backgrounds, and Borders in a KOTH match.
- Fatality inputs no longer change into QTE inputs during in Online Tower Battles.
- Game no longer desynchronizes when a player selects a character that their opponent has not unlocked.
- D'Vorah's cape no longer moves when she's killed.
- Game no longer freezes when opponent in online closes the game.
- Title remains responsive while story cinematics are loading.
- Fixed leaderboards and kombat kards not updating past the top players.
- After entering Replays with the controller the Player can use the keyboard when watching a replay from an online match.
- Loading screens now display before progress bar fills up.
- Diagonal arrows are shown instead of keys when Alternate Control is enabled.
- Sometimes saving a Custom1 preset displayed as being saved for Custom1-4 in the character select and pause menu controls screens.
- The UI arrows will now switch sides on a tagged move when the character switched position with his opponent.
- Chat room names will now display properly (instead of SteamIDs.)
- Fixed input callouts when switching between keyboard and USB controller after entering a KOTH match.
- Additional graphical fidelity options.
- General Matchmaking improvements.
- Performance improvements
- Improved online stability
- Multiplayer invite improvements
- Gameplay fixes and balancing
- Various Kombat Kard fixes
- WB Play fixes
- General bug fixes