didn't make quite the splash you'd expect from a big summer release with the names Depp, Bale, and Mann attached. It's gone on to escape with nearly $200M in box office worldwide, but reviews were lukewarm and overall it just didn't seem to click with the moviegoer zeitgeist as much as I would have predicted. Our own Katey Rich gave it a middling three-star review
, and while I agree that it's a troubled film, it's still definitely worth seeing if only for Depp's charismatic performance. You'll get that chance if you skipped it in theaters when the film hits DVD and Blu-ray December 8th.
Directed by the justifiably legendary Michael Mann, Public Enemies
stars Depp as infamous Depression-era bank robber John Dillinger and Bale as FBI agent Melvin Purvis, the man tasked with bringing Dillinger down. While Mann's direction is solid and Depp's performance excellent, Bale puts in the second of two lackluster performances this year, making his Purvis more interesting than his John Connor, but only just. The film suffers from pacing issues that leave it feeling episodic, but when Depp and Mann are firing on all cylinders, there are some truly great moments on display.
In keeping with the scofflaw nature of the film's protagonist, Universal Studios Home Entertainment is offering you the chance to win $100,000, or a selection of other prizes including HDTVs, Netbooks, and Blu-Ray players. Click on over to http://www.universalstudios.com/publicenemiesinstantwin
to learn how to participate.
You can get your Depp-as-Dillinger fix three ways, as a two-disc Blu-Ray, a two-disc DVD, or a single-disc version. Here's the safe-load of special features.
Special Edition DVD and Blu-ray version include:
Blu-Ray Exclusive Features:
- Larger than Life: Adversaries—Stars Johnny Depp and Christian Bale face off in their portrayals of the real legendary gangsters shown in the film.
- Michael Mann: Making Public Enemies—See Michael Mann work with his cast and crew, including Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, and Marion Cotillard.
- Last of the Legendary Outlaws—A look at the real John Dillinger and other notorious American gangsters, including Bonnie & Clyde and Pretty Boy Floyd.
- On Dillinger’s Trail: The Real Locations—Compare the real locations used in the film through behind-the-scenes and archival footage.
- Director’s Commentary—Feature commentary with director Michael Mann.
- Criminal Technology—A study of the guns from the 1930s. Watch Johnny Depp and other cast members learn how to fire them realistically.
- Digital Copy.
- U-Control—Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
- Picture-In-Picture—Dig deeper behind-the-scenes with production-related featurettes on how cast and crew brought Dillinger and his accomplices to life.
- Interactive Timeline—Follow three timelines of a national crime spree that spanned 14 months from 1933-1934 and view in-depth coverage on Dillinger and his gang through archival materials, historians, and family members
- BD-Live—Blu-ray viewers can access the BD-Live Center through an Internet-connected player to download more exclusive content, the latest trailers, and more!
- My Chat—Use Internet-connected players to host a text chat while watching the movie with friends who also own Public Enemies on Blu-ray Hi-Def.
- My Public Enemies Commentary—UniversalHiDef.com and the BD-Live Center together offer the opportunity to create video, audio, or text commentary that can be shared with others in the BD-Live community.
- My Scenes Sharing—Bookmark favorite scenes from the movie then share with BD-Live buddies!
- Gangster Movie Challenge—Test your knowledge of some of Hollywood’s most infamous gangsters, then see how you rank on the leaderboard.
The single-disc DVD version of Public Enemies
includes the “Larger than Life: Adversaries” bonus features, as well as Director’s Commentary.