Subscribe To Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Is Finally Fixing Its Long List Of Problems Updates
I've already subscribed
Months after the rocky launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, developer Robomodo has released a massive patch. The update introduces a range of fixes for the troubled skateboarding game along with some new content.
Don't expect a speedy download. The update is about 7.8 GB. Fortunately, the download time should be worth it because the list of changes is substantial. Textures, multiplayer modes, the tutorial and user-generated levels were all updated. The patch notes say that several "gameplay mechanics" also received changes.
The new content includes additional levels with Underground and Wild West themes. Robomodo also created new character campaigns featuring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Tyler the Creator.
Here are the full patch notes:
- Additional levels have been added (Underground, Wild West)
- Additional character campaigns have been added (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tyler the Creator)
- Lighting and visuals have been improved for several levels
- Ability to regain Special Meter during a single combo has been added
- Per-Mission Leaderboards have been added
- Added option to “Return to Freeskate” while in a Mission or Mode
- Added option to “Return to Freeskate” while search for the other player for Co-op Missions or Modes
- Tutorial has been updated
- Many Pro Skaters’ Textures have been updated
- Several Pro Skaters have received Sponsor update
- Create-a-Park Levels have been updated
- Increased the total number of Stat points a Campaign can earn from 128 to 150
- Several gameplay mechanics within the levels have been updated
- Grinds were updated in several of the levels
- The User Generated Content Rating System has been updated
- Added Likes/Dislikes to the User Generated Levels
- New Challenge UI Flow for matching during FreeSkate has been added
- Leaderboard functionality was updated
- Several multiplayer modes have been added and updated
- Modes added include “Daily Grind,” “Skate Hoarding” and “Manual Mayhem”
- More options for user preference have been added including: double tapping grind button to activate slam, opt in/out of Global Voice Chat
- Several UI audio effects have been added
- Misc – minor UI fixes and improvements have been made
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 debuted in late September to mediocre reviews. The game's sitting at a Metacritic average of 40 on Xbox One and 34 on PS4. The poor receptions led Activision to apologize:
We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years.
I doubt the update will be enough to convince people to play the game after all the poor reviews. However, I hope the people that did buy the game will finally feel like they're getting their money's worth.