Warning: SPOILERS for John Wick: Chapter 2 are ahead!
John Wick's a man who's skilled at staying alive. It's a basic qualification when you join the world of assassins. However, like the other killers in this mysterious society, John has always been able to turn to the services provided by the underworld, from the Continental hotel to Aurelio's chop shop. Unfortunately for John, by the time John Wick: Chapter 2 ended, he was declared "excommunicado" and cut off from taking advantage of these resources. Making matters worse, there's a $14 million contract on his head. It's a horrible situation for the protagonist, but his actor, Keanu Reeves, is already imagining how things will pick up from there in John Wick 3, and it would be the most explosive opening yet.
I think the opening of the film should be Wick just trying to escape from New York. Literally trying to get off the island. Maybe he asks [Lawrence Fisburne's character] the Bowery King for help. Maybe John Leguizamo comes and helps me out. 'John, I can't do it, you're excommunicado!' Maybe the High Table shows up. And then the High Table starts firing guns. And then maybe this kind of thing starts to happen between the High Table and Continental? Maybe John is the activator of this confrontation, and perhaps there's a war? Wouldn't that be awesome?!
Remember that this isn't the official plan for how John Wick 3 will begin, but it's not a ridiculous scenario that Keanu Reeves has concocted. John Wick: Chapter 2 opened only a few days after the first movie, so it's plausible that John Wick 3 would kick off immediately after the sequel. It's also practically guaranteed that he'll have to go up against agents from the High Table, though not necessarily right away. Because John killed Santino D'Antonio, who had a seat at said Table, within the Continental's walls, its leadership declared that John's bounty could be collected by anyone across the world. Will John Wick 3's opening be exactly as above? Probably not, but I suspect it will come relatively close. That war between the Continental and the High Table sounds like an especially captivating plot point.
John Wick 3 hasn't officially been announced yet, but it's likelier than not to eventually be made. John Wick: Chapter 2 has been earning a lot of positive reviews since it opened on February 10, and it's collected over $93 million worldwide. A performance like that, along with the open ending, will surely make Lionsgate realize that John Wick 3 is a good idea. Chad Stahelski mentioned late last year that he was tossing around some ideas for a threequel that would see Winston and Lance Reddick's Charon having bigger roles, and during the Empire appearance, he said he'd like to "expand" this world by "another 25%" and delve into the world people already know about by "another 50%."
Stay tuned to CinemaBlend for more news concerning the potential John Wick 3 as it comes in.