Kalypso Media's upcoming vampire RPG, Dark, looks really cool and sexy in a dark, modern-noir sort of way. One of the biggest fears for the game was that it might end up being like Twilight, well the screenshots prove otherwise.
Kalypso's upcoming action-RPG is being designed by RealmForge Studios and sees players assuming the role of a rogue vampire named Eric Bane, who wakes up one day in a night club with no memories and no idea what's going on. He eventually gets caught up in a conspiracy involving the mystery pharmaceutical corporation called GeoForge Corp.
The gameplay revolves a lot around utilizing stealth-combat as well as vampire-specific skills to take down foes and overcome enemies. Imagine Splinter Cell meets Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. In addition to this players will be able to level-up their skills, enhance their abilities and focus on improving specific aspects of Eric's combat capabilities or stealth moves to suit his role to the gamer's play-style.
The real highlight of Dark is probably its art-style and atmosphere. As mentioned in a previous article about the game, it has a very similar color grading to Michael Spierig's Daybreakers -- utilizing green hues and deep lighting saturation to give off a unique atmospheric vibe. I also love how the game has its own visual flare without necessarily reverting to the "Me too" gimmick a lot of other AAA games adopt.
You can check out the new screenshots for Dark below or head on over to the Official Website to learn more about the game. Kalypso Media plans to release the game in the early first half of 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PC.
• Stealth and action combine as players walk the world in darkness and silence, attacking their unsuspecting foes with supernatural fury
• Use powerful vampire abilities and hard-hitting melee attacks to defeat dangerous enemies -- turn into a puff of smoke and disappear, or close with your foes in an instant!
• Powerful and intelligently controlled AI enemies mix the fantastic with the real-world. Battle police and elite special forces along with ghouls and other vampires
• Castles, museums, skyscrapers, nightclubs and more are rendered in stunning 3D cel-shaded graphics, beckoning the player to explore -- but beware, powerful enemies hide everywhere
• RPG element mix with a compelling story – players will build up their skills through successful evasion and combat, while advancing the story through conversations with NPCs