The time has come to talk of the many things coming in the new Avengers 2 trailer! The footage is set to drop during tonight’s college football playoff game at 8:30 p.m. EST, and though we were all stunned by the first trailer that dropped a few months ago, there is still so much that has not yet been revealed from the anticipated sequel. We don’t really have any idea what to expect from the latest spot, but there are definitely some big questions about the movie that we have been asking ourselves recently.
While we likely won’t be getting answers to every inquiry that’s plaguing our thoughts (they have to save some stuff for the actual film!), we’re hoping that the new Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer can at least provide a few big answers. Such as…
1. How Does Ultron Plan To Destroy Humanity?In the comics, Ultron’s ultimate master plan is clear: destroy all humans! After Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) cooks him up as part of a defense program — with some still unspecified assistance from Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) — the psychotic A.I. comes to believe that all of humanity is a virus that’s ravishing the planet. And what does one do with a virus? You send in the anti-bodies to snuff it out. But we need details! There are many ways to decimate Earth’s entire population. For example, you can target anyone looking to start trouble with a few gargantuan ships, like HYDRA tried to do in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. You can also unleash an alien horde through a portal over New York City, like in the first Avengers. Because Ultron is supposed to be as creative and ingenious as Stark himself, we’re hoping he has something unique up his robotic sleeves.
2. Why Do The Twins Seem To Hate The Avengers?In the new Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer, we definitely need to see more from the superpowered twins Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. The first teaser set them up in interesting ways, showing them amongst a group of protestors waving signs and looking downright pissed as well as showing off their powers, but what is their exact role in this story? Previous reports have suggested they have some sort of ax to grind with the Avengers, but what is their big issue? Could it possibly have something to do with their origins in the movie? We first saw them in the mid-credits scene to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which revealed that they were the product of Baron Von Strucker’s experiments. After many of his patients died in the process, the Maximoff siblings emerged with miraculous abilities. Could they blame the Avengers for their own sufferings? Why were they shown standing with Ultron in that one shot?
3. What’s The Relationship Between Scarlet Witch And Vision?Beyond Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, another exciting addition to the Avengers’ lineup in Age of Ultron is The Vision. In the comics, Ultron attempts to one-up his creator by creating a life of his own, but there’s a lot more to the history of the android beyond that. The Vision has also been known to have a romantic past with Scarlet Witch, and it’ll be interesting to see how or if this will be incorporated into the Joss Whedon-directed sequel. As mentioned, there has been suggestion that Scarlet Witch will be on Ultron’s side for part of the story, so could this see the early blossoming of a romance with Vision? When asked about his character’s relationship to the Marvel sorceress back during San Diego Comic-Con, Paul Bettany would only go as far to say that The Vision is "protective" of Wanda. We wanna know just how protective he’s willing to get.
4. What Kind Of Roles Will War Machine and Maria Hill Have?In the first Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer and a batch of early images, we see War Machine (Don Cheadle) and Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) chatting it up and having a great time during the party scene in Stark Tower. Of course, the energy level drops a bit when Ultron stumbles out to crash it. Whedon had previously said that there will be three prominent female characters in this film, and one definitely seems like it could be Smulders’ character. But exactly how is she tied into the story? The same question goes for War Machine. We last saw Colonel James Rhodes in Iron Man 3 suiting up as Iron Patriot, but why do we see him now partying it up with the other Avengers? Could Hill’s expanded role come as a result of her new gig at Stark Industries?
WARNING! The final question gets a bit spoilery, so be careful!
5. Why Does Thor Head To Asgard?We are very likely getting into SPOILER territory here, but this is still a question that has been on our minds. Idris Elba confirmed a few months back that he filmed a scene with Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth for The Avengers: Age of Ultron, and that really can only mean one thing: Thor is taking a brief side trip to see the Asgardian gatekeeper Heimdell and his mischievous brother Loki. What’s the reason behind Thor’s trip? Does he need some guidance on how to defeat the seemingly indestructible Ultron? Or is it merely a set-up for the forthcoming Thor: Ragnarok? Things are obviously very tricky in the godly realm at this point on the timeline, what with the God of Mischief sitting on the throne and all, so it will be interesting to see how it factors in.
Check back later for the Avengers 2 trailer premiere, and hopefully some of these mysteries will be solved.