J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens
is proving to be an unstoppable behemoth at the box office. In just two weeks of release, the film is already ranked number six on the all-time worldwide chart, but this past weekend pulled in an additional $88 million domestically – a total that would be a respectable opening for a summer blockbuster. These numbers cannot, however, just come from people seeing the movie once, which makes us want to ask, "How many times have you seen it?"
A couple weeks ago there was news about one man in Austin, Texas who sat and watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens
a grand total of nine times
in the first weekend alone, and that definitely seemed pretty crazy – but it’s pretty clear from the numbers that the film is putting up that there are more than a few fans are getting a taste of the epic space saga multiple times. And if you’re reading this article, we’re willing to bet that you’re probably one of those people.
If you do fall into that category, let’s open up a discussion, shall we?
- How many times have you gone to the theater to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- Why did you go multiple times? Did you just love the movie that much? We’re you seeing it with different groups of friends/family?
- Have you seen the film in multiple formats? Are there options to see the film in 35mm, IMAX, and/or 3D in your area?
- If you saw it in both 3D and 2D, which version did you prefer?
- Does the movie get better or worse upon multiple viewings? How radically did your opinion change?
- How much do you think expectations affected your first viewing?
- Are you noticing things in subsequent viewings that you missed the first time around?
To date, the $200 million-budgeted Star Wars: The Force Awakens
has made a grand total of $740 million domestically, and $1.5 billion around the world - leaving it just a tiny $5 million behind Furious 7
and $9 million behind The Avengers
on the worldwide charts. For an extra bit of fun, while you’re down in the comments section talking about the movie, try and calculate what percentage of the box office totals that you make up! (hint: it’s going to be a crazy small number).
How Many Times Have You Seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens?