Leave a Comment
Solo: A Star Wars Story is a film that many are curious about, not because it's the next Star Wars movie, but because it's the product of two different directing teams trying to make a single film. This meant that the actors and the rest of the crew had to deal with two, potentially very different, styles of directing as they tried to produce the film. Now, star Alden Ehrenreich has spoken out about what it was like for him, as he started working with a pair of directors who were looking to experiment, although it turned out the experiments weren't necessarily what others were looking for. According to Ehrenreich...
They had a different style than Ron in terms of the way we were working...From the first screen test on, we played around with it a lot. We tried a lot of different things, rethinking behind the scenes. That was yielding a different movie than the other factions wanted. I knew what I was doing, but in terms of what that adds up to, you're so in the dark as an actor. You don't know what it's shaping up to be, how they're editing it, so it's kind of impossible without having seen those things to know what the difference [of opinion] was, or exactly what created those differences.
Many of the rumors that came out during the transition away from Phil Lord and Chris Miller implied that the directing duo was working fairly slowly, and letting the actors do a lot of improvisation. While the actor says he was clear about what his directors wanted from him, so much of what a movie becomes is done after filming that it's hard for him to really know what others saw simply based on his performance. It's also possible that Ehrenreich's comments to Esquire are meant to hit back at the reports that Lucasfilm had such a problem with his performance that an acting coach was hired. He's making it clear that his performance was what was expected of him, even if that didn't come through in what the studio saw.
As far as what happened when Lord and Miller were let go, Alden Ehrenreich was as surprised as anybody. While he was aware that had been some disagreements between the directors and the studio, he didn't have any visibility to the details. He admits it was emotional for him, as the three of them had worked closely together, and since Lord and Miller had been the ones to cast him, he felt a strong connection to them.
They said, 'We were let go,' and that's it. They had mentioned there were some disagreements before, but they didn't get into it. They wished me the best with the rest of the movie. On a personal level, it felt emotional, for them to be going after we'd set out on that course together. Because I spent a lot of time with them, and we had a really good relationship---they also cast me. But I think at that point, they were kind of on board with [the decision], too. Like, 'This is what's happening.' That's not what they said to me, but that was the vibe I got.
With all that went on behind-the-scenes, there are a lot of questions about how Solo: A Star Wars Story is going to turn out. We'll finally know the answers May 25.