Hulu Announces Big Deal With Disney
Well, it’s about time! It was announced today that The Walt Disney Company and Hulu are in the process of closing a deal which, among other things, will mean Hulu will eventually include ABC shows on their site. Why is this such a big deal? I mean, can’t we just watch ABC’s shows on their website? Sure you can, if you can get the player to work without it freezing up.
I’ve found that I can only get ABC.com’s player to work about a third of the time I’ve tried to use it. Hulu on the other hand, works every time as long as you have a decent connection. This deal doesn’t just include ABC shows though. It also looks like we’ll be seeing some of ABC Family’s original programming and some Disney Channel shows on there as well. Hulu’s full announcement is posted here but below is the list of some of the content that will be available once the deal is closed:
• Full-length episodes of ABC primetime programs like Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, Samantha Who, Scrubs, Private Practice and popular late night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live.
• Full-length episodes of hit ABC Family series like The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Greek
• Popular series from ABC Daytime and SOAPnet like General Hospital and The View
• Classic series from ABC's library like Hope and Faith, Less Than Perfect, Commander in Chief, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Dancing with the Stars
• Select hit programs from Disney Channel like Wizards of Waverly Place and Phineas and Ferb which can be easily accessed from a new DISNEY location in the Channel section of Hulu.com
• Popular library titles from The Walt Disney Studios
• Short-form content including webisodes, sneak peeks and episode recaps from ABC Entertainment, ABC Family and SOAPnet
Your Daily Blend of Entertainment News
Kelly joined CinemaBlend as a freelance TV news writer in 2006 and went on to serve as the site’s TV Editor before moving over to other roles on the site. At present, she’s an Assistant Managing Editor who spends much of her time brainstorming and editing feature content on the site.
By Ryan LaBee
By Dirk Libbey