Is it just me or are these combo packs getting unwieldy as we add new formats? If you're riding the cutting edge of home-entertainment technology, you're now regularly being offered combo packs that include a 3D Blu-ray, a regular Blu-ray, a DVD, and a digital download. Why stop there? Let's honor our heritage and toss in a Super-VHS copy, a regular VHS, a MiniDisc, a Laserdisc, a BetaMax, a couple of Super8 cartridges, and a Kinetoscope.
On a related note, Walt Disney Home Entertainment has announced a March 29th release date for their 50th animated film, Tangled
. For you early adopters out there, this modern take on the story of Rapunzel will be the first animated flick to premiere day-and-date with the regular Blu-ray and DVD releases, so you won't have to wait for your third dimension. The four-disc combo pack will run $49.99 and include -- as you might guess -- the 3D version, Blu-ray, a DVD, and a digital download. The two-disc Blu-ray will shave off ten bucks and list for $39.99, and you old-school folks can grab the one-disc DVD version for a mere $29.99. Here's what you can look forward to when it comes to bonus features.
DVD & Movie Download
- "Untangled: The Making of a Fairy Tale" -- Exactly how long is Rapunzel’s hair? How many lanterns were used? Where did Pascal’s name come from? Which Disney animated feature first utilized CG animation? These and more will be answered when Mandy Moore and Zach Levi take viewers on a kooky behind-the-scenes tour to learn how the filmmakers styled this film’s -- Golden Tresses.
- Deleted Scenes -- Co-directors Byron Howard and Nathan Greno introduce three scenes and illuminate why they were ultimately cut.
- The Jaunty Moose
- Chemistry Develops
- Vigor the Visionary
- Extended Songs -- The complete versions of two great songs are shared in a unique feature that explains the co-directors decision to scale them down.
- When Will My Life Begin
- Mother Knows Best
- Two Original Storybook Openings -- Two alternate versions of the film’s opening sequence described by co-directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard.
- 50th Animated Feature Countdown -- A video montage celebrating Tangled as the 50th film to join the Walt Disney Studios’ prestigious lineup of classic animated features.
- Nine Tangled Teasers -- A collection of the most unique and quirky commercials made for the theatrical release of Tangled. Some are spoofs based off of infomercials and/or breaking news, some are teasers and others are simply just funny filmstrips.
- Two Original Storybook Openings -- Versions 1 & 2
- 50th Animated Feature Countdown