Harry Potter has cast his magic on readers all over the world yet again. The eighth story in the insanely popular young adult series topped the list of Amazon's bestselling books of 2016. Check out the full list of Amazon's top 20 bestsellers for 2016 below.
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany
2. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
3. The Whistler by John Grisham
4. The Last Mile (Amos Decker series) by David Baldacci
5. Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard
6. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
7. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
8. Night School: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child
9. The Black Widow: Book 16 of Gabriel Allon Series by Daniel Silva
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid # 11: Double Down by Jeff Kinney
11. 15th Affair (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
12. Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
13. Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
14. Crisis of Character: A White House Secret Service Officer Discloses His Firsthand Experience with Hillary, Bill, and How They Operate by Gary J. Byrne
15. The Wrong Side of Goodbye: A Harry Bosch Novel by Michael Connelly
16. The Magnolia Story by Chip Gaines and Joanna Gaines
17. The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
18. One with You: Book 5 of A Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day
19. The Obsession by Nora Roberts
20. Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale
It should come as no surprise that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 would top Amazon's list --- the book became the digital marketplace's most preordered book of 2016 prior to its July 31 release date, and went on to sell over two million copies after just two days of being released. The book itself is actually the script for a play of the same name, which is currently running sold-out shows in London. And good news for U.S. Potterheads --- J.K. Rowling announced last week that the production is in talks to debut on Broadway in 2018!
While it was inarguably Harry Potter's year, it was also a big year for nonfiction and thrillers in the Amazon bookstore. The late Dr. Paul Kalanithi's posthumous memoir When Breath Becomes Air, chronicling his life as a doctor while struggling with terminal lung cancer, took the number two slot, followed by new mystery/thriller novels from John Grisham and David Baldacci. And given that 2016 was an election year, books with a political bent were another big seller, such as Bill O'Reilly's Killing the Rising Sun and J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy.
Oh, and next year's bestseller list might have a pretty familiar looking number one also, since J.K. Rowling is set to release a revise "Definitive Collector's Edition" of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in 2017, as well as a new edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It looks like every other author is going to really have to step it up next year if they hope to cast their spell on Amazon.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is available on Amazon here.