Today Epic and Microsoft revealed the first downloadable content for Gears of War 3
. The "Horde Command Pack", slated for November 1st, introduces three multiplayer maps.
The maps aren't just for Horde mode. You can also use them for Beast or private Versus matches. Here's a run-down on the new locations:
- Blood Drive – The Jacinto Medical Plaza was overwhelmed by evacuated citizens after the government-sanctioned Hammer Strikes, and the ensuing riots quickly turned this safe haven into a dangerous inferno. An abundance of high ground and funneled choke points make this map a returning favorite to Horde.
- Rustlung – Once the pride of the Royal Tyran Navy, the foredecks of this decommissioned battleship are now riddled with bullet holes. Any team with the fortitude to hold the exposed central torpedo bay will find that the ship's Loader has been replaced with a battle-ready Silverback mech suit.
- Azura – This island resort was once the exclusive domain of Sera's educated elite, but the tranquil water gardens and lush foliage have become a hotly contested combat zone. Dual snipers overlook a powerful explosive weapon, while the defensive central platform may be your last resort of retreat.
If you're playing the maps in Horde mode, you can use the following upgrades for your fortifications:
- Command Center – A brand new type of fortification that allows you to call in fire support from sniper teams, mortar strikes and even multiple Hammers of Dawn.
- Decoy Upgrade – A new fortification level that turns your decoy into an Onyx Guard bot that will fight in your defense.
- Sentry Upgrade – This upgrade adds a fire bolt sentry that deals much more damage and is very effective against Berserkers.
- Silverback Upgrade – This advancement allows you to upgrade your Silverback exo-suit with devastating rockets and extra levels of repair cost reduction.
The DLC also gives you new ways to look purty. Three new characters (Onyx Guard, Big Rig Dizzy, Bernie) and two weapon skins (Jungle Camo, Team Plasma) will keep you stylish throughout the fall. The 250G worth of new Achievements are sure to sex up your Gamescore, too.
"Horde Command" will cost 800 MS Points to download. Alternately, you can buy the Gears of War 3
Season Pass for 2400 MS Points. The Season Pass allows you to download the first four DLC packs automatically. It's said to be 33% cheaper than buying all the DLC individually.
Today's announcement was accompanied by a few screenshots. Check 'em out below.