EA is reviving their arcade football franchise NFL Blitz. They're currently developing an HD version of the seven-on-seven gridiron game. EA plans to release the game in January 2012 through Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network for $14.99.
"NFL Blitz was one of the great arcade classics of the 90s, and now we’re bringing back everything fans loved at a great price, in high-definition and as a digital download," said Cam Weber, general manager of American Football at EA SPORTS. "The new NFL Blitz will preserve the competitive nature of the original game, while delivering to fans the ultimate rivalry experiences online."
Blitz is sort of the NFL equivalent of NBA Jam. It values over-the-top, fast-paced action over realistic simulation. Quarters are only two minutes long and you need to earn 30 yards to get a first down. Getting 30 yards isn't too hard, as the players have superhuman abilities. Quarterbacks, for example, can throw the ball the entire length of the field. Here's the full list of features promised in the game:
- Classic Blitz Gameplay – Fast-paced football action at its best, featuring the 7-on-7 wide-open gameplay of the original arcade hit. Two minute quarters, 30 yards for a first down, no penalties, exciting tackles and, of course, players ON FIRE!
- Blitz in HD – For the first time in franchise history, Blitz hits the gridiron in high-definition. Take to the field with top players from each of the 32 NFL teams, play in all 31 NFL stadiums and battle fantasy bosses from the Gauntlet at the Blitz Coliseum.
- Ultra-Responsive Controls – Running at 60fps/60Hz, the pick-up-and-play controls perfectly replicate the twitch arcade experience. Disrupt the opposition with stiff arms, knock down receivers before a catch, dive to tackle ball carriers, and hurdle pass for the big play…all with the touch of a button.
- Blitz Battles – Challenge the competition online in head-to-head matches or team up (on a single console or online) 2-on-2, ranking up local, regional, and national Battle Boards - all the way to the Blitz Hall of Fame.
- Blitz Gauntlet – The ultimate single-player challenge! Battle through a multi-tiered Gauntlet, taking on NFL teams and exclusive fantasy character bosses in the Blitz Coliseum. Take down the fantasy character bosses to unlock them for use in all modes.
- Elite League – Join the Elite League and strive to create the perfect squad of ultimate players. Purchase card packs using Blitz Bucks earned through online* games to collect players to customize your lineup. Collect an entire NFL team of players to unlock powerful Pro and Ultimate players that give your team the competitive edge. Change the game in unique ways by acquiring and using Power Ups to further your advantage on the field. For the ultimate rush, risk one of your valuable players in a winner-takes-all Risk and Reward game.
- Online Co-op – Grab a teammate on the couch or join a friend online and crush the competition in classic Blitz 2-on-2 style. Track your records against friends to show who owns the Blitz gridiron.
- Blitz Store—Earn Blitz Bucks in every online* game mode, then head to the Blitz Store to purchase a ton of intense content. Build your Blitz Elite League team by purchasing card packs and power-ups. Customize your Blitz Battles team with new logos and banners. Take the Blitz experience to the next level with a slew of gameplay and visual cheats. Go behind the scenes and unlock concept art and the famous Blitz cheerleaders.
- Blitz Booth Commentary – The two-man booth includes past NFL Blitz play-by-play announcer, Tim Kitzrow, along with actor Brian Haley. The perfect pair to voice NFL Blitz, Kitzrow and Haley’s humorous commentary augments the over-the-top arcade football experience.
Blitz is being developed by EA Tiburon, the studio behind the Madden and NCAA Football franchises.
Staff Writer at CinemaBlend.
Your Daily Blend of Entertainment News
Thank you for signing up to CinemaBlend. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.