Animated Disney movies are known for making jokes about pop culture on occasion, but ahead of the release of Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, directors Rich Moore and Phil Johnston have revealed a Kylo Ren joke did not make the final cut. Moore revealed more about what happened in a recent interview, noting,
Disney apparently has pretty strong communication between departments, as Rich Moore said the creative team respectfully went to Lucasfilm with the original idea, whereupon they were promptly shot down. Considering the upcoming movie already notoriously has a scene featuring the Disney Princesses playing up their various personalities and stereotypes, the lack of tolerance for a Kylo Ren joke might seem like a surprise, but the directors don't seem too bent out of shape about being told "no."
Instead, they told IGN the decision to cut the Kylo Ren joke was one that made sense for the movie. In order for a jab to work it really needs to "honor who these characters are" not take a quick shot for the sake of comedy. Phil Johnston also told the outlet the movie is really going for "loving satire" and apparently the Kylo Ren joke really didn't fit that mold.
Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 isn't avoiding Disney's popular Star Wars franchise completely. In fact, C-3PO is set to be the butler in the upcoming movie, also appearing in the princesses scene.
Director Rich Moore previously addressed why Princess Leia wasn't included in the Disney princesses scene, noting,
If you haven't seen the full trailer for Wreck-It Ralph 2 in all its princess glory, be sure to check it out below.
So, it sounds like some Star Wars references will make it in, but some just didn't really fit the direction of where the movie was going or what Disney was hoping to see in the animated flick. We'll be able to see if the tone in Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 is not too hot, not too cold and, in fact, just right when the movie hits theaters on November 21, 2018.