BREAKING MOVIE NEWS
We first got a hint about this particular character's casting last week. Jason Flemyng - who is 47 years old - revealed a page of the Star Wars script on his Instagram feed on Wednesday, suggesting that he was going out for a part in the movie. "40-something military man" seems like a good fit for him, no?
Because R2-D2 and C-3PO are droids, they have longer lifespans than every living thing in the universe, and as a result have found their way into the saga from beginning to end. Being familiar with this fact, we have always had every reason to believe that both C-3PO and R2-D2 would be coming back for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII.
In 1977, audiences were blessed with an ignorance of the universe BECAUSE they hadn’t yet seen a single frame of footage. But audiences who will be turning up for Episode VII when it opens in 2015 (or, you know, whenever) will have obsessed over every minute of six Star Wars films, and Abrams better start figuring out how to cater to THAT crowd.
Kennedy and Abrams might be painted into an uncomfortable corner. Postponing Star Wars to 2016 will raise thousands of red flags with already concerned fans … but don’t you want Abrams to take the necessary amount of time to deliver the best possible Star Wars movie he can?
One of the most promising pieces of news we've heard about the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII ever since it was announced last year was that the studio had hired Academy Award winning screenwriter Michael Arndt to pen the script. Sadly, however, it appears that puzzle piece is no longer in place.
Lucas’s son, Jett, talks about his dad’s ongoing involvement in the developing series. He talks about his dad being “torn” on the matter of handing the franchise over to new creators (not just to Abrams, but to other directors who’ll be able to now play in this sandbox)
"I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness," he said, "and there was this one scene where she was literally like, ‘I just can’t see what’s going on. I don’t understand what that is.’ I was like, ‘Yeah, I went too nuts on this.’”
With the 3D trend visibly dying out, movie theaters and studios are looking for even more ways to get people to actually leave their houses to go to the movies, and thus far the hippest new thing is IMAX. The large format that used to be limited to planetariums has been used to dazzling effect in films like The Dark Knight Rises and the upcoming Gravity, and more and more filmmakers are adopting it to make their big-budget spectacles all the more spectacular. Will J.J. Abrams be the next to jump on board?
David Oyelowo of Lee Daniel’s The Butler and Michael B. Jordan of Fruitvale Station have taken meetings about the film. Of course a meeting is far from a guarantee in casting, but Jordan is said to have met personally with Abrams, which is a bit more promising.
He throws the word “real” around a lot. Which is fine. It backs up this sentiment that Abrams is going to counter the digital chilliness of Lucas’ prequel trilogy with the promise of practical effects.
Sci-fi fans have known forever that you can't just step off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise and on to the Millennium Falcon, but J.J. Abrams has only now finally admitted it. The director of Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness is locked in and ready to start in January on Star Wars: Episode VII, and we've assumed since he first signed on that it meant he wouldn't be able to direct Star Trek 3
Working as a director of photography since the early 90s, Mindel has a long list of high-profile, blockbuster credits and worked with Abrams previously on Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, and Star Trek Into Darkness (the only film they didn't work together on was Super 8, which was shot by Larry Fong).
The Bad Robot appears, followed by a shot of a field of stars. I don't blame you if your heart stopped at that point, since thos two elements will almost certainly be part of whatever eventual teaser we see for Star Wars: Episode VII, which Bad Robot is producing alongside Lucasfilm and Disney and their fearless leader, J.J. Abrams. This teaser trailer, which popped up today at Entertainment Weekly, is not for Episode VII… probably
Twice now in a four-week span, Walt Disney Studios has had opportunities to ease the minds of Star Wars fans around the globe by revealing even the slightest inkling of information regarding J.J. Abrams’ Episode VII: The As-Yet-Unnamed Sequel. And twice, the studio opted to remain silent.
J.J. Abrams’ second Star Trek movie and the twelfth in the franchise did well at the box office, grossing nearly $450,000 and paving the way for a third movie. Those who can’t wait for the new flick will at least be able to watch Star Trek into Darkness when it hits Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand on September 10.