Last night on Conan, the Deadpool trailer debuted in its gory glory, and all was right with the world. Now, in the harsh light of a morning after your Deadpool walk of shame, we have the opportunity to reflect on exactly what we saw. Breathe in all that stank from your smoking pistols, because there’s a lot to digest.
Ryan Reynolds stars as Deadpool, aka the merc with the mouth, aka Wade Wilson. The former military man has cancer, but he’s offered a rare opportunity to become a superhero through an off-the-books experimental surgery. Things go wrong, as they do, and Wilson is left physically scarred, royally messed up and on a mission of revenge to pop a cap in the man who did this to him. Joining Reynolds on this highly anticipated and super R-rated event are T.J. Miller, Gina Carano, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein and Brianna Hildebrand.
The Deadpool footage featured a lot of samurai swordplay, bullets through the head, third wall-breaking smack talk, a new Colossus, and so much more. You can watch the footage again and again all you like right here, but here are some of the best moments worth revisiting — in GIF form, no less!
1. The "Test Footage" SceneRemember that test footage for the Deadpool movie that leaked a while back and may or may not have convinced Fox that a Deadpool movie would be a good idea? Well, this is that scene recreated in live-action. Wilson is sitting atop a freeway overpass, having a ball, drawing sadistic revenge porn, and listening to Salt 'N' Pepa, when he sees his enemies roll up. In a swift and vicious sequence, he lands in the car and lays wastes to these baddies.
2. Trick ShotEven if Deadpool is only as good as its trailer, it'll still be 100% better than what we saw in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The teaser for this trailer even made fun of that fact by saying, "from the studio that inexplicably sewed his f---ing mouth shut the first time..." But this -- this right here -- is the Deadpool we've been waiting for.
3. Thank God For That Healing FactorPart of the experimental procedure left Wilson with regenerative capabilities, much like Wolverine. So, when shit like this happens, he's not completely scarred for life.
4. Meet ColossusDaniel Cudmore portrayed the metal-skinned mutant in X2, X-Men: The Last Stand and more recently in X-Men: Days of Future Past. But for Deadpool, Fox recast him with actor/stuntman Andre Tricoteux. He appears in this scene opposite the telepath Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and we're sad she didn't have a standout moment in this trailer. The Comic-Con footage featured a back-and-forth between her and Deadpool, the latter completely obsessed with how cool her names is. But at least we still have Colossus pummeling the merc.
5. Deadpool vs. AjaxIt wouldn't be a superhero movie without some sort of hero-vs-boss-villain showdown, and we get a taste of that right here with Deadpool and Ed Skrein's Ajax. We saw this baddie briefly in the beginning of the trailer as one of the people performing the operation on Wilson. When he sees Ajax again, now with the means of ripping him to shreds, he goes all Kill Bill.
6. Bullet To The HeadsThis is what Sylvester Stallone's Bullet To the Head should have been about.
This moment single handedly won Comic-Con. Fans cheered and "oh snap"-ed this scene of Deadpool putting a bullet clean through three henchmen heads, and it set the bar for the movie. Yes, folks, this is in deed rated R, and it's bloody brilliant.
7. The Smoking GunDid you like what you saw? Breathe it in and go touch yourself at night, just like your pal Deadpool.
Now, watch the full trailer one more time:
The film is scheduled to hit theaters on February 12, 2016.