Mild spoilers below for Yellowstone’s latest episode, so be warned if you haven’t yet watched!
Three episodes into its fifth season, Yellowstone has put most of its main characters in vice grips of their own making — a begrudged thanks for the quote inspiration, Sheriff Ramsey — with potentially major problems happening both on the ranch and off. But you know what hasn’t been a problem whatsoever, at least for fans? The return of Josh Lucas as the younger version of Kevin Costner’s John Dutton. The Paramount Network western’s flashbacks in Season 5 seem to be setting up an important connection to the current-day timeline, but who’s got time for remembering plotlines when Lucas’ burly mustache and gravelly drawl are bursting forth from the TV? And you better believe the fandom is clamoring for Taylor Sheridan to order up another new prequel focusing on John’s slightly younger years.
Ahead of the latest episodes, Josh Lucas popped up on Yellowstone as the land-protecting John Dutton three times across Season 1, and once in Season 2, but was absent through the third and fourth. But fans aren’t griping about lost time or anything, and have been rather focused on celebrating the actor’s Costner-esque vibe. We’ll kick things off with another familiar face from the small screen, HGTV star Erin Napier, whose show Home Town will finally debut Season 7 in early December. Here’s what she had to say:
the josh lucas casting as young kevin costner is so good it’s scary #yellowstoneNovember 22, 2022
I dare say a bit of performative fear was struck when Lucas so confidently laid out one of the best lines of the episode when he told the then-Governor off for doubting his and other ranchers' wolf claims. And the way other fans are gushing over Lucas, I think some people might be scared that Yellowstone will drop its flashback format too soon. But let's live in the glorious moments while we can, with this rundown of Lucas-loving viewers.
- A perfect example of an absolutely flawless casting decision is Josh Lucas as young John Dutton #YellowstoneTV @Yellowstone - @melthearies
- Josh Lucas on #YellowstoneTV is what cowboy dreams are made of - @gracefulsince85
- Idgaf abt Yellowstone’s 1883, I need to see more of Josh Lucas as a young John Dutton. - @missmarii10
- Taylor sheridan is fucking amazing and deserves every single flower #Yellowstone also whoever casted Josh Lucas as young John Dutton deserves every raise imaginable - @flippybets
- Josh Lucas as John Dutton can fuckin GET IT - @jenpeterspnw
- Josh Lucas playing a young John Dutton is really the level of casting every show and movie should be striving for - @elsteindorf
And just in case the above thoughts weren't oozing enough hornball energy, the sentiment below is alive and well on social media.
Yellowstone Kevin Costner as John Dutton - would ride 🔥Josh Lucas as John Dutton - would ride 🔥I need to find me a cowboy 😜 pic.twitter.com/V74QxM34iPNovember 22, 2022
Of course, beyond all the general adoration and hype, quite a few Yellowstone fans openly requested — and in some cases demanded — that Josh Lucas imminently get cast to lead whatever prequel would come immediately before the events we're already familiar with. (Although some seem to have their math all wrong as far as when the thing might take place.) Let's run these next few down from curious to downright thirsty.
- Josh Lucas as a young John Dutton is terrific. I wonder if there's a potential prequel series with Lucas one day. #YellowstoneTV - @therealckj
- I am here for a spin-off with Josh Lucas as a young John Dutton! Get on this #YellowstoneTV #joshlucas @sourlemonds
- We actually need a young John Dutton spin off starring Josh Lucas. #YellowstoneTV - @cameow_7
- So… this is totally leading to a Yellowstone prequel with Josh Lucas as a John Dutton AND I AM HERE FOR IT!!! RAWR! #Yellowstone - @txchickidie
- I’m sick and tired of Taylor Sheridan gatekeeping Josh Lucas as John Dutton from me in these flashback scenes. I NEED A WHOLE SEASON OF HIM - @ya_girl_abby4
If only Yellowstone's Twitter page had been responding specifically to fans' calls for Lucas-led spinoffs with this post...
This man and his one-liners! #YellowstoneTV #JohnDutton pic.twitter.com/AwDnbQz61VNovember 21, 2022
Season 5 episodes air Sunday nights on Paramount Network at 8:00 p.m. ET, and fans can stream Yellowstone’s first four seasons with a Peacock subscription. Head to our 2022 TV premiere schedule to see what else is coming to the small screen soon.
Nick is a Cajun Country native, and is often asked why he doesn't sound like that's the case. His love for his wife and daughters is almost equaled by his love of gasp-for-breath laughter and gasp-for-breath horror. A lifetime spent in the vicinity of a television screen led to his current dream job, as well as his knowledge of too many TV themes and ad jingles.
Your Daily Blend of Entertainment News
Thank you for signing up to CinemaBlend. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.