Starting today you can spend money on Quake Live
, the free-to-play browser-based shooter. id Software has implemented two optional subscription plans.
The Premium subscription is priced at $1.99/month. Here's what you'll get with that membership:
- Access to 20 QUAKE LIVE Premium only maps at launch with more to come. Premium maps are a combination of brand new maps and frequently requested community favorites from previous QUAKE games such as Aerowalk, Theater of Pain, Japanese Castles, and Realm of Steel Rats;
- An all new ‘Freeze Tag’ game mode;
- Exclusive premium level awards;
- Create your own clan and join up to five separate clans;
- Custom QUAKE LIVE profile wallpaper; and
- Match statistics stored for six months.
The Pro subscription ($3.99/month) has all of the above features as well as these benefits:
- The ability to start your own game server, specify a server location, determine the game mode and invite who you want to join you;
- With the Pro Subscription, you can invite three friends with Standard level memberships to play with you in any Premium level map;
- Exclusive pro awards;
- Create your own clan and join up to ten separate clans; and
- Match statistics stored for 12 months.
The standard version of the game is still free-to-play. All that's required is that you register at QuakeLive.com
and download a plug-in.