If you haven't heard, DayZ is all the rage right now in the PC gaming community. It's huge and it's steamrolling in success at this very moment. Well, another company has plans to make a bigger, more accessible version of the DayZ concept called The War Z and brand new screenshots have been released for the game.
Hammerpoint Interactive is working on the game right now with a beta planned for later this summer. The idea behind The War Z is that it's zombie-survival with multiplayer at the core. It sports two modes of play, Normal and Hardcore, and has server support for up to 250 players per game.
One of the major highlights is the 200km through 400km open environment. It's hard to tell right now exactly what the general scope of the environment will be like and whether it's more urban based or a more rural based but the screenshots seem to showcase most of the action happening in crowded urban environments. There's also no mention on whether food and survival will play a factor in the game or what the combat will be like (i.e., DayZ or Left 4 Dead style).
The game will sport item shops, safe zones for trading as well as character customization to cut down on the clone factor. I'm just curious if you'll be able to jump off two-foot high crate and not break your legs.
Nevertheless, open-world zombie games don't arrive a dime a dozen and the more the merrier. You can check out some of the fact sheet bullet points below, courtesy of PC Gamer as well as check out the new screenshots.
You can sign-up for the upcoming closed beta for The War Z by paying a visit to the game's Official Website.
The War Z Features:
• Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
• Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
• Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
• Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
• Strong Role Playing Elements
• Multiple playable characters with customizable features
• Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
• Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
• Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
• Up to 250 players per game server
• New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
• Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
• Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
• Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions