Tonight Ubisoft sent out the minimum specs you'll need in order to run Assassin's Creed 3
. Surprisingly, the game doesn't require DirectX 11 video cards or sound cards.
The minimum requirements, posted on Ubisoft's support site
, are as follows:
- Supported OS: Windows Vista (SP2) / Windows 7 (SP1) / Windows 8
- Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended
- RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
- Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant with Shader Model 4.0 or higher (see supported list)*
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant (5.1 surround sound recommended)
- DVD-ROM: Dual-layer drive
- Hard Drive Space: 17 GB
- Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)
- Multiplayer: 256 kbps or faster broadband connection
While the game is fully playable with a mouse and keyboard, Ubisoft said previously that using a gamepad is the way to go
. While the controls are no doubt different than they were in previous games, I'd expect a lot of multi-button actions so a gamepad does seem smart.
Ubisoft also provided a list of supported video cards. At launch, the game will be compatible with the AMD Radeon HD 3870 / 4000 / 5000 / 6000 / 7000 series or better. NVIDIA owners will need to have GeForce 8600 GT / 9 / 100 / 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 / 600 series or better. Laptop versions of these particular cards could work, but there are no guarantees.
will arrive on the PC about a month later than on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The PC launch is scheduled for November 20th in North America and the 23rd in Europe.